“Love Yourself” is the first single from my new album My Heart is My Home, and I’m releasing it on April Fools’, which is my birthday. Self-acceptance is a journey, and “Love Yourself” is a folk-country-soul anthem that reminds us to do our own healing work so that we can experience life and love more fully.
I wrote this song in the aftermath of uncoupling, in an effort to turn my compassion toward myself and take responsibility to heal my own heart. If we expect others to make us whole, things get messy and feelings get hurt. But self-love opens a portal to divine love. This song wrote itself in 15 minutes and it felt like I was learning a song that already existed.
We lost a lot of great human beings last year. “Love Yourself” is dedicated to the living spirit of Bill Withers, one of my heroes.
- Dave Bruzza – electric guitar
- Sam Cooper – harmonies, violin and string arrangements
- Jordan Hamilton – cello
- Drew Howard – pedal steel
- Dan Rickabus – drums, percussion and harmonies
- Mike Shimmin – percussion
- Khalin Diggins – bass
- Me – vocals and acoustic guitar